Government NL Links

We know the secret of your success

Wondering what government permits you need for your business?

Acquiring the right permits is one of the first steps to starting your business. Government permits needed to start your business will differ depending on what industry your business is in. BizPal is a great tool to utilize and is a simple way to find what you need!

  • Business Number
  • Federal Incorporation
  • Business Occupancy Permit
  • Workers Compensation
  • Tax Certification
  • Business Permit

Government Permits Roadmap

Business Number

Once a business is incorporated, a nine-digit number is assigned by the Canada Revenue Agency. You will receive a business number once you acquire a GST/HST number.

Business Occupancy Permit

A document that authorizes the use of a space for business operations.

Tax Certification

Once you exceed the $30,000 revenue threshold in one year, you must register for a GST/HST number.

Business Permit

Usually acquired from a municipality or government. This document allows a business to operate in a jurisdiction.

Federal Incorporation

Incorporating creates a new legal entity called a corporation, commonly known as a "company." Corporations have the same rights and responsibilities as natural persons under Canadian law.

Workers Compensation

Workers Compensation provides financial compensation for employees injured on the job. Incorporated businesses are required to register with WorkplaceNL. Sole proprietorships are required to register if they have more than one employee.


Permits and licences you need for your business

Digital Government and Service NL

Incorporating a company

Government of Canada

Business and industry

Lacks Heading
432 Massachusetts Drive
Stephenville, NL, A2N 2Z6
709 643-7804
Mon-Fri 8:30am-4:30pm