This red seal program is designed to provide you with the skills and knowledge required for employment in the field of Heavy Duty Equipment Technician/Truck and Transport Mechanic. Some of the duties include:
- Interpret work orders and technical manuals
- Maintain, clean and lubricate equipment
- Diagnose faults and malfunctions
- Adjust, repair or replace defective parts
- Performance test repaired equipment
- Follow manufactures specifications and legislated regulations
- Demonstrate safe work practices and personal protection.
- Use and maintain tools and equipment.
- Diagnose and repair engines and engine support systems.
- Diagnose and repair steering, suspension and brake systems.
- Diagnose and repair hydraulic and pneumatic systems.
- Write service reports and record analysis
Eligibility for admission requires the applicant to meet one of the following academic criteria:
1. High School
High School Graduation
2. Adult Basic Education
Adult Basic Education (Level III) Graduation with General College Profile (or Business Related College Profile or Degree and Technical Profile). It is strongly recommended that courses include the following:
Science 3101, 3102, 3103
3. Comprehensive Arts and Science (CAS) Trades
Comprehensive Arts and Science (Trades) Certificate
4. Mature Student Requirements
Applicants who do not meet the education prerequisites for this program, are 19 years of age or older, and have been out of school for at least one year may be considered on an individual basis under the Mature Student Requirements; for more information regarding the Mature Student Requirements please refer to Procedure AC-102-PR Admission
International Applicants – English Proficiency
All international applicants must meet the College’s English language proficiency requirements for acceptance into regular programs. The College will accept these recognized tests of English language proficiency (TOEFL paper based 550, TOEFL Internet based 79, TOEFL computer based 213 or equivalent, IELTS Academic Test overall band score of 6.0, or Pearson PTE 53 or greater, etc.).
If a language proficiency test other than those referenced above was used, applicants can forward for assessment.
If an international applicant has attended an educational institution (high school or post-secondary) for a period of three years or more where the official language of instruction was English, the English language proficiency test will not be required.
: Some programs may require specific English language requirements and proficiency scores that differ from those stated above; therefore international applicants are advised to please refer to the specific program admission requirements as identified in the College Calendar.
Graduates may find employment in the following areas:
- Repair shops
- Maintenance companies
- Transportation companies
- Construction companies