The software development field is constantly evolving and graduates in this area are in high demand. Professionals in this industry use leading-edge processes and methodologies to develop and maintain software for phones, tablets, and computers. Creating databases and applications utilizing a variety of programming languages will prepare the graduate to be successful in this discipline. As our dependence on technology and software increases, so too will the demand for software development professionals.
The three semester Accelerated Software Development Post Diploma is designed for students, who have a diploma or undergraduate degree with no prior programming experience and want to enhance their career opportunities. Software development is a prerequisite for employment in a variety of fields, and by combining theoretical and practical learning experiences in a team-oriented setting, it will enable graduates to innovate and implement practical solutions to business problems.
The program focuses on the competencies and approaches required to create, build, and maintain software systems ranging from small to enterprise solutions. Courses concentrate on application development, database design, systems analysis, team building, and best practices. The programs diversity provides opportunities for the student to acquire the skills, professionalism and adaptability required to succeed in a dynamic and challenging field as an entry-level software developer.
In the last semester, students will complete an applied software development project and a seven-week work exposure that will enable them to apply knowledge and utilize skills developed during the program.
Upon successful completion of the Accelerated Software Development program, graduates will be able to:
- Work effectively and efficiently in the Information and Communication Technology industry.
- Recommend system program upgrades for customers’ existing programs and systems.
- Analyze, design, develop, test, deploy and maintain full stack applications.
- Demonstrate practical programming skills and design techniques, enabling them to function as entry-level programmers.
- Possess an in-depth understanding of object-oriented programming practices including database layer development on mobile and cloud ecosystems.
- Ensure that software continues to function normally through software maintenance, testing, version control and documentation.
- Understand and apply programming best practices to develop secure applications.
Graduates may find employment as entry-level software developers in the following areas:
- Application Developer
- Business Developer
- Software Developer
- Computer Programmer
- Mobile App Developer
- Database Developer
Eligibility for admission requires the applicant to meet the following academic criteria:
Graduation from a recognized College or University with a two or three-year diploma or degree. A combination of post-secondary and industry experience acceptable to the college will be considered on a case-by-case basis.