This red seal program is designed to assist you in developing sufficient basic skills and knowledge to enter the labor force as an apprentice Mechanic in Auto Body and Collision. Some of the duties include:
- Repair and replace vehicle structures and body parts
- Remove and install interior and exterior finishes
- Hammer out dents, buckles and other defects
- Operate soldering equipment and plastic filler
- Remove damaged fenders, panels and grills
- Weld replacement parts
- Straighten frames and underbodies
- File, grind, mask and tape body surfaces in preparation for painting
- Demonstrate safe work practices and personal protection.
- Use tools and equipment.
- Determine the type of paint; plan refinishing system; remove, prepare, seal and mask; apply coatings to vehicle.
- Demonstrate correct use of chemicals within the shop environment.
- Compute cost estimates for completing repairs.
- Manage customer needs, complaints, questions and special challenges.
Eligibility for admission requires the applicant to meet one of the following academic criteria:
1. High School
High School Graduation
2. Adult Basic Education
Adult Basic Education (Level III) Graduation with General College Profile (or Business Related College Profile or Degree and Technical Profile). It is strongly recommended that courses include the following:
i. Mathematics 1102A, 1102B, 1102C and 2102A, 2102B, 2102C or 3102A, 3102B and 3102C
ii. Science 3101, 3102, 3103
3. Comprehensive Arts and Science (CAS) Trades
Comprehensive Arts and Science (Trades) Certificate
4. Mature Student Requirements
Applicants who do not meet the education prerequisites for this program, must be at least 19 years of age at the time of application and out of school for at least one year may be considered on an individual basis under the Mature Student Requirements; for more information regarding the Mature Student Requirements please refer to Procedure AC-102-PR Admission
International Applicants – English Proficiency
All international applicants must meet the College’s English language proficiency requirements for acceptance into regular programs. The College will accept these recognized tests of English language proficiency (TOEFL paper based 550, TOEFL Internet based 79, TOEFL computer based 213 or equivalent, IELTS Academic Test overall band score of 6.0, or Pearson PTE 53 or greater, etc.).
If a language proficiency test other than those referenced above was used, applicants can forward for assessment.
If an international applicant has attended an educational institution (high school or post-secondary) for a period of three years or more where the official language of instruction was English, the English language proficiency test will not be required.
: Some programs may require specific English language requirements and proficiency scores that differ from those stated above; therefore international applicants are advised to please refer to the specific program admission requirements as identified in the College Calendar.
Graduates may find employment in the following areas:
- Body Shops
- Frame Shops
- Garages and Dealerships
- Service Stations