The Business Management (Human Resource Management) program has been designed to provide students with insight into the theory and practice of effective Human Resource Management. The program seeks to provide the student with a broad understanding of fundamental business principles and practices essential to effective and efficient management.
The Business Management (Human Resource Management) program is designed to provide students with an opportunity to pursue a career in Human Resource Management, Industrial/Labour Relations, Supervision and General Management.
Upon successful completion of the program, graduates will be able to:
- Examine and critique the key fundamentals of strategic human resource management and the employment related legislation (acts and regulations).
- Propose and apply various human resource practices to effectively manage an organization’s human resources.
- Demonstrate effective research, negotiation, conflict resolution, and leadership skills for use in the business environment.
- Integrate ethical human resource management practices for use in performing human resource functions.
- Integrate business concepts for effective business planning and strategic management.
- Demonstrate application of the Conference Board of Canada employability skills.
Eligibility for admission to Business Administration/Business Management programs requires the applicant to meet one of the following four academic criteria:
1. High School
Provincial High School Graduation Certificate with a 60% overall average in the following (or equivalent):
i. English 3201 or English 3202 (60% minimum)
ii. Mathematics (4 credits) chosen from:
Advanced: 2200, 3200 (50% minimum in each course)
Academic: 2201 (50% minimum), 3201 (60% minimum)
iii. Five credits at the 3000 Level
2. Comprehensive Arts and Science (CAS) Transition
Comprehensive Arts and Science (Transition) Certificate with the following courses:
i. Math Fundamentals: MA1040
3. Adult Basic Education (ABE)
Adult Basic Education (Level III) Graduation with Business-Related College Profile including the following courses (or equivalent):
i. English 3101A, 3101B, 3101C or 3102A, 3102B, 3102C
ii. Mathematics 1101A, 1101B, 1101C, 2101A, 2101B, 2101C, 3101A, 3101B, 3101C
Applicants with Adult Basic Education (Level III) Graduation with a different Profile may be eligible for admission to the program provided the appropriate selection of courses including those outlined above have been completed.
4. Mature Student Requirements
Applicants who do not meet the education prerequisites for this program, must be 19 years at the time of application and out of school for at least one year may be considered on an individual basis under the Mature Student Requirements; for more information regarding the Mature Student Requirements please refer to Procedure AC-102-PR Admission
International Students – Admission Requirements and Information
1. High School
i. Proof of senior high school/secondary school Diploma/Certificate with equivalent minimum grades for the required high school courses listed above.
ii. India applicants only – Proof of senior high school/secondary school Diploma/Certificate with an equivalent Grade 10 Mathematics (50% min.) and Business/Commerce Stream.
2. English Proficiency
All international applicants must meet the College’s English language proficiency requirements for acceptance into regular programs. The College will accept these recognized tests of English language proficiency (TOEFL paper based 550, TOEFL Internet based 79, TOEFL computer based 213 or equivalent, IELTS Academic Test overall band score of 6.0, or Pearson PTE 53 or greater, etc.).
If a language proficiency test other than those referenced above was used, applicants can forward for assessment.
If an international applicant has attended an educational institution (high school or post-secondary) for a period of three years or more where the official language of instruction was English, the English language proficiency test will not be required.
: Some programs may require specific English language requirements and proficiency scores that differ from those stated above; therefore international applicants are advised to please refer to the specific program admission requirements as identified in the College Calendar.
Graduates of the program may obtain employment in a variety of areas such as private business, Federal/Provincial/Municipal Government, industry, consulting agencies, institutions, associations, and unions.
The following is a list of positions that graduates may occupy after successful completion of the program: recruitment/selection officer, personnel officer, training and development officer, compensation/ benefits specialist, sexual harassment officer, employee assistance coordinator, labour relations officer, professional development officer, human resource officer, personnel manager, manager of human resources, classification officer, and other business related occupations.
Business Management (Human Resource Management) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) in all campus locations. ACBSP is the leading specialized accreditation association for business education supporting, celebrating, and rewarding teaching excellence.
The Business Administration/Management programs offer exit points after Year 1, Year 2, and Year 3.
* Students can graduate at the end of Year 1 with a Business Administration Certificate.
* Students graduate at the end of Year 2 with a Business Administration Diploma.
* Students graduate at the end of Year 3 with a Business Management Diploma.
Graduates of the Business Administration/Management programs may have the opportunity to transfer credits to institutions/associations such as:
• Memorial University of Newfoundland
• Cape Breton University, Sydney, Nova Scotia
• Athabasca University, Alberta
• Lakehead College, Alberta
• University of Lethbridge, Alberta
• Lakehead University, Ontario
• University of New Brunswick, Saint John campus
• Okanagan College, British Columbia
• Northwood University, Michigan, USA
Graduates may also wish to further their studies to achieve professional designations with:
• Canadian Institute of Financial Planning
• Canadian Professional Sales Association
• Canadian Public Relations Society
• International Personnel Management Association (IPMA) - Canada
• The Payroll Association of Canada