This two-year diploma program is designed to provide students with extensive knowledge of legal terminology, legal writing, court practices and document formatting. Students will obtain hands on experience through simulation exercises to prepare them for employment in the field of Legal Administration.
The major components of the program include Legal Transcription, Business Law, Office Management and Legal Document Production. Related courses include Communications (both oral and written), Bookkeeping, Digital Tools for the Office, and Medical Terminology for the Legal field.
Upon successful completion of the Legal Administration program, graduates will be able to:
- Create legal and business documents using extensive knowledge of legal terminology, legal writing, court practices and rules, and document formatting with integrated software at an advanced level for effective communication.
- Apply professional communication, ethical behavior, and office management practices for application in the legal office environment.
- Apply program learning in the legal office environment through experiential learning opportunities for enhanced industry networking.
- Demonstrate application of the Conference Board of Canada employability skills for successful entry into the workplace.
Graduates of the diploma program may expect to find employment opportunities in both the public and private sectors, including all levels of government, as well as legal firms, provincial and supreme courts, and other government and corporate legal departments. As well as acquiring skills and knowledge necessary to become effective employees in today’s electronic office, graduates will be knowledgeable in the areas of civil litigation, incorporation, real estate, wills, estates, and family law.
Graduates are trained for the following specific positions: legal administrative assistant, legal assistant, court clerk I, court officer I, judicial assistant, legal transcriptionist, and administrative officer.
The Office Administration programs offer exit points after Year 1 and Year 2.
* Students can graduate at the end of Year 1 with an Office Administration Certificate
* Students graduate at the end of Year 2 with a Legal Administration Diploma
Eligibility for admission requires the applicant to meet one of the following academic criteria:
1. High School
High School Graduation
2. Comprehensive Arts and Science Certificate (College Transition program)
3. Adult Basic Education
Adult Basic Education (Level III) Graduation with General College Profile (or Business-Related College Profile or Degree and Technical Profile)
4. Mature Student Requirements
Applicants who do not meet the education prerequisites for this program, must be at least 19 years at the time of application and out of school for at least one year may be considered on an individual basis under the Mature Student Requirements; for more information regarding the Mature Student Requirements please refer to Procedure AC-102-PR Admission
5. International Applicants – English Proficiency
All international applicants must meet the College’s English language proficiency requirements for acceptance into regular programs. The College will accept these recognized tests of English language proficiency (TOEFL paper based 550, TOEFL Internet based 79, TOEFL computer based 213 or equivalent, IELTS Academic Test overall band score of 6.0, or Pearson PTE 53 or greater, etc.).
If a language proficiency test other than those referenced above was used, applicants can forward for assessment.
If an international applicant has attended an educational institution (high school or post-secondary) for a period of three years or more where the official language of instruction was English, the English language proficiency test will not be required.
: Some programs may require specific English language requirements and proficiency scores that differ from those stated above; therefore international applicants are advised to please refer to the specific program admission requirements as identified in the College Calendar.
Legal Administration is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP). ACBSP is the leading specialized accreditation association for business education supporting, celebrating, and rewarding teaching excellence.