This red seal program exposes you to the safe and efficient operation of Mobile Cranes. Some of the duties include:
- Become proficient in the use of 50-ton Lattice Boom Crawler, 30 Rough Terrain, 20- and 18-ton Boom Truck
- Perform safe operations and routine maintenance for mobile cranes
- Proficiently assemble and disassemble mobile cranes
- Demonstrate safe work practices and personal protection.
- Assess site hazards.
- Operate equipment safely.
- Recognize and evaluate conditions which are potentially hazardous to safe operation.
- Interpret and apply load charts, rigging procedures and related documentation.
- Interpret and apply visual and audio communication.
Eligibility for admission requires the applicant to meet one of the following academic criteria:
1. High School
High School Graduation
2. Adult Basic Education
Adult Basic Education (Level III) Graduation with General College Profile (or Business Related College Profile or Degree and Technical Profile). It is strongly recommended that courses include the following:
i. Mathematics 1102A, 1102B, 1102C and 2102A, 2102B, 2102C or 3102A, 3102B and 3102C
ii. Science 3101, 3102, 3103
3. Comprehensive Arts and Science (CAS) Trades
Comprehensive Arts and Science (Trades) Certificate
4. Mature Student Requirements
Applicants who do not meet the education prerequisites for this program, must be at least 19 years of age at the time of application and out of school for at least one year may be considered on an individual basis under the Mature Student Requirements; for more information regarding the Mature Student Requirements please refer to Procedure AC-102-PR Admission
Additional Entrance Requirements:
1. Driver's License and Medical
You must possess an unrestricted Class 5 driver's license for one (1) year.
Upon acceptance to the program, you must provide the following additional documentation:
i. A Motor Registration Division - Medical Examination Report with a vision test completed by a doctor.
ii. A Driving Abstract record showing no more than four (4) demerit points.
Government of Newfoundland and Labrador - Digital Government and Service NL | Motor Registration Division Online Appointments
Upon starting the program, students will be required to complete a commercial written test successfully. Once completed you will be issued a permit by the Department of Motor Registration Division that allows you to be instructed by a licensed commercial driver in preparation for a Class 03 license.
Graduates may find employment in the following area:
- Oil Field Industries