This red seal program will prepare you to build and repair overhead and underground power lines used to conduct electricity from generating plants to the customer. Some of the duties include:
- Erect and maintain steel, wood or concrete poles, towers and guy wires
- Install, maintain and repair overhead and underground powerlines, cables, insulators, lighting arrestors and switches
- Repair or replace transformers and street lighting
- Splice, solder and insulate conductors
- Diagnose power distribution and transmission faults
- Demonstrate safe work practices and personal protection.
- Interpret occupational documents.
- Use and maintain tools and equipment.
- Use and maintain electrical distribution systems and their equipment.
Eligibility for admission requires the applicant to meet one of the following academic criteria:
1. High School
High School Graduation
2. Adult Basic Education
Adult Basic Education (Level III) Graduation with General College Profile (or Business Related College Profile or Degree and Technical Profile). It is strongly recommended that courses include the following:
i. Mathematics 1102A, 1102B, 1102C and 2102A, 2102B, 2102C or 3102A, 3102B and 3102C
ii. Science 3101, 3102, 3103
3. Comprehensive Arts and Science (CAS) Trades
Comprehensive Arts and Science (Trades) Certificate
4. Mature Student Requirements
Applicants who do not meet the education prerequisites for this program, must be at least 19 years of age at the time of application and out of school for at least one year may be considered on an individual basis under the Mature Student Requirements; for more information regarding the Mature Student Requirements please refer to Procedure AC-102-PR Admission.
5. Driver License
Applicants are required to have a valid Class 05 license prior to acceptance into the Powerline Technician Program.
Notes: Driver License and Endorsements
a) A NL Air Brake endorsement (9A) may be required to operate some vehicles within the program and upon employment.
b) Employers may seek graduates who can obtain a Class 03 License. NL Motor Vehicle Regulations requires a valid Class 05 for a minimum of 12 months prior to applying for a Class 3 license.
Graduates may find employment in the following areas:
- Utility companies
- Private contractors