There is a worldwide movement in the air – harnessing wind capacity for renewable energies. According to the Global Wind Energy Council, electrification with renewables is the most cost-efficient way to decarbonize the global economy. It is expected to not only improve the health of the planet, but also generate wealth for nations and vast employment opportunities.
The generation of electricity through wind energy doesn't emit greenhouse gases or air pollutants, and it doesn't consume large quantities of freshwater or generate toxic, hazardous or radioactive waste. And this form of sustainable energy will create new jobs and boost economic growth in regions investing in this next-generation wind technology. Change is here, and it's bringing the future of energy.
CNA is riding these winds of change and introducing the first program of its kind in the province. The Wind Turbine Technician program will prepare you for the varied demands of this exciting energy industry. This training will reinforce your understanding of the mechanical and electrical systems of turbine and hydraulic systems, which you will maintain in your role as technician. Our extensive safety training and rescue drills will establish acumen and respect for the strict protocols of the industry.
Join us, be a part of keeping the lights on.
Did You Know?
- Learn critical safety competencies working at heights and within wind turbine nacelles
- Build a diverse skillset with training in mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic fields
- Apply classroom theory in a wind turbine training facility
- The new report of the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) stated that the Earth is already 1.1°C warmer than before industrialization.
- 2021 was the second-best year on record for the global wind industry, with 93.6 GW new installed capacity.
- Canada's wind, solar and energy storage sector grew by 10.5% in 2022.
Upon successful completion of the Wind Turbine Technician program, graduates will have the knowledge and skills to be able to:
1. Apply and complete Newfoundland and Labradors occupational and health requirements for safety while ascending and descending wind turbines.
2. Establish an understanding of the mechanical, electrical, and control systems and sub-systems common to modern wind turbines.
3. Implement troubleshooting and problem-solving skills required to maintain a wind turbine.
4. Perform mechanical, hydraulic, and electrical component maintenance, repair, and replacement of parts to correct malfunctions.
5. Apply preventative maintenance and inspection procedures on wind turbines
In addition to the formal courses listed in the program of studies, students in the Wind Turbine Technician program are required to obtain certificates of completion in the following external certifications prior to beginning WI1315
Wind Turbine On-the-job Training in Semester 3:
1. Fall Protection
2. Wind Turbine High-Angle Rescue
3. Lock Out Tag Out Electrical
4. Confined Space Entry
Eligibility for admission requires the applicant to meet one of the following academic criteria:
1. High School
High School Graduation Certificate with a 60% average in eight level 3000 credits, or equivalent, including Mathematics (4 credits) chosen from:
i. Advanced: 2200, 3200 (50% minimum in each course)
ii. Academic: 2201 (50% minimum), 3201 (60% minimum)
2. Comprehensive Arts and Science (CAS) Transition
Comprehensive Arts and Science (Transition) Certificate with MA1040
(Math Fundamentals 1) and MA1041
(Math Fundamentals II) OR clearing High School course deficiencies through Comprehensive Arts and Science (Transition) individual courses.
3. Adult Basic Education
Adult Basic Education (Level III) Graduation with a Degree and Technical Profile (or Business Related College Profile), including the following courses (or equivalent):
i. Mathematics: 1101A, 1101B, 1101C, 2101A, 2101B, 2101C, 3101A, 3101B and 3101C
Applicants with Adult Basic Education (Level III) Graduation with a different Profile may be eligible for admission to the program provided the appropriate selection of courses, including those outlined above, have been completed.
4. Mature Student Requirements
Applicants who do not meet the education prerequisites for this program, must be at least 19 years of age at the time of application and out of school for at least one year may be considered on an individual basis under the Mature Student Requirements; for more information regarding the Mature Student Requirements please refer to Procedure AC-102-PR Admission
International Applicants – English Proficiency
All international applicants must meet the College’s English language proficiency requirements for acceptance into regular programs. The College will accept these recognized tests of English language proficiency (TOEFL paper based 550, TOEFL Internet based 79, TOEFL computer based 213 or equivalent, IELTS Academic Test overall band score of 6.0, or Pearson PTE 53 or greater, etc.).
If a language proficiency test other than those referenced above was used, applicants can forward for assessment.
If an international applicant has attended an educational institution (high school or post-secondary) for a period of three years or more where the official language of instruction was English, the English language proficiency test will not be required.
: Some programs may require specific English language requirements and proficiency scores that differ from those stated above; therefore international applicants are advised to please refer to the specific program admission requirements as identified in the College Calendar.
Prior to entry into the program students must be cleared by a physician to be able to complete required physical activities with assessment submitted to Admissions.
Graduates from the Wind Turbine Technician program will have employment opportunities with wind energy projects across Canada. There is a need within these wind projects for installation, operation, maintenance, and repair of wind turbines. As wind energy continues to emerge globally international opportunities may also be available for students.